¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Friday, February 13, 2015

Different colors


I want to discuss the hobby from different perspectives. Each person that plays 40k has their own ideals they aspire to in the pursuit of their own happiness. You can't really make a simple matrix to identify individual types of players because we are complex and our desires change over time.

I remember when I first started to play I was the n00b trying to just learn the rules. The person who taught me how to play did not really help me learn the game beyond a yes or no to my questions. After about six months of reading the third edition rulebook over and over it finally began to click.

Dark Angels and Chaos Space Marines were my first two armies and they will always have a special place in my heart. My current perception of the developers is they do not want either of these armies to be competitive. I think it's the same for Blood Angels as well. Blood Angels finally got back the great things they lost but nothing really new to give them a unique edge over armies like Eldar. Dark Angels were never really competitive - I don't understand why they don't get better rules.

I am a competitive player but I also like the background for 40k. The background is a big hook that draws a lot of players to the game. There is a wide spectrum between being competitive and background but these aspects can overlap. While the rules constantly continue to change the background mostly has remained the same.

Having played the game for well over two decades I always get a kick when a fifteen year old reminisces about back in the good old days playing Necromunda and Rogue Trader era 40k. It's amusing. It's harder now to get up two days in a row and play a lot of games but it's still a lot of fun for me. There are lots of ways to enjoy the game - we should respect what each person wants. I've always said its in your best interest to play with like minded individuals.

I mostly play with young people now. I have no desire to aspire back to an earlier version of the game or try to force people to play the game how I think it should be. People who picked up the game in sixth edition will tell you they have no desire to play fourth edition. Allies and super heavies are in now in a big way. Just take a look at the new Necron codex.

If we can respect each other it's better for everyone. Don't expect others to like the game for the same reasons you do. Veteran players should be stewards of the new game rather than constantly harkening back to the old days.

No comments: