¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Friday, September 01, 2017

Editorial: 40k 8th Edition META RELOAD


So 8th edition has been out for awhile now and we've seen some of the new codices with plenty more on the way. So far I've liked everything I've seen and I like how the new stratagems work bringing back some of the really good old flavor.

I want to discuss competitive play that's in line with the spirit of the game and designing cool armies that follow their core background.



First though I'd like to issue a simple disclaimer. You can be a very competitive player without actually being good at the game... in fact I see it all the time. Thank the dark gods that Games Workshop has been so far been very proactive against these types of armies that normal gamers like you and I that have no desire to play against them given any serious alternative. Yes I'm talking about pathetic armies like Ravenspam. Any fool could at one time play Ravenspam and win a lot of games - you don't have to be good at things like actual tactics when you're forte is spam spam spam. Razorflockspam got the nerf bat to the face too... lovely ain't it now ?!

I was at a local shop earlier this week to sign up for fall league play... was told Space Marines and elite armies in general aren't competitive. Well well well... I don't want to run conscripts or cultists bubble wrap with Forge World artillery - again the axiom you can be competitive but not good at any actual tactical brevity and I welcome the challenge. In regards to developing anti meta armies that's what I do and I encourage others to do so as well. Spam is on its way out if you haven't received the official memo yet. Dare to be great in the true sense.

Going back to what I said above Games Workshop so far has been on top of their game and that's what happens when the parent company finally really cares about the game and their core base customers. All rules and changes to any existing rules should come straight from Games Workshop first. We don't need a third party to dictate how games are played. It's fine to design your missions and this is the proper way to introduce a twist.

So I'm not here today to tell how exactly how to design an army other than to go against the current competitive meta. It can be hard at first but if you stick with it you'll eventually design the type of army that gets a lot of thumbs up and can win against any given counter army. My advice is don't get discouraged... it takes some time and you'll be glad you did. Let's make tactics good again.

No comments: